Red Bean, Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
The peanut butter base of this soup gives it a pleasantly nutty flavor.
- 2 15 ounce can no-salt-added red beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 8 ounces boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups chopped green sweet peppers (2 large)
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 10 ounce can tomatoes and chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Snipped fresh cilantro
- Chopped peanuts (optional)
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker combine beans, sweet potatoes, chicken, broth, sweet peppers, diced tomatoes, tomatoes and green chiles, Cajun seasoning, and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove 1 cup hot liquid from cooker. Whisk in peanut butter. Stir into mixture in cooker.
- Serve topped with cilantro and, if desired, peanuts.
Nutrition Facts ( Red Bean, Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew)
- Per serving:
- 366 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 53 mg chol. ,
- 830 mg sodium ,
- 46 g carb. ,
- 16 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 32 g pro.