Praying Angel Sugar Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 3- to 3-1/2-inch heart-shape cookie cutter, a 4- to 4-1/2-inch elongated triangle-shape cookie cutter, and a 1-inch round cookie cutter, cut one heart, one triangle, and one round from dough for each angel. For each angel, place a heart cutout for wings on cookie sheet and top it with a triangle cutout for the body; place round cutout for head so it overlaps the point of the triangle. Place angels 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are very light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Flood and outline wings and around edge of each head with glaze-consistency white Royal Icing. Sprinkle outside edge of each halo with yellow decorating sugar, tapping to remove excess. Outline and flood glaze-consistency yellow-tinted Royal Icing on bodies; let stand until almost set. Using a decorating bag fitted with a small round tip, pipe frosting-consistency white Royal Icing in decorative lines and praying hands on bodies and hair on inside edge of each halo. Use a round tip and frosting-consistency yellow-tinted Royal Icing to pipe wing decorations and to pipe buttons at neckline.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the water and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until icing is very stiff. If not using right away, cover bowl with a damp paper towel and cover paper towel with plastic wrap; chill for up to 48 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Nutrition Facts (Praying Angel Sugar Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 49 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.