Very Ginger Pound Cake
- Allow eggs, butter, and milk to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch tube pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In an extra-large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add granulated sugar and brown sugar, beating until combined. Beat in ginger and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition and scraping side of bowl frequently.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low to medium speed after each addition just until combined. Gently stir in crystallized ginger. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Cool completely on rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare Blood Orange Topping.
- To serve, place cake on a cake stand or serving plate. Gently spoon the fruit in the topping over cake. Drizzle cake and fruit with remaining topping syrup. Makes 16 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and bake cake as directed; cool (do not add orange topping). Wrap cake in moistureproof and vaporproof wrap or place in an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw wrapped cake at room temperature for several hours. Prepare orange topping; spoon topping over cake before serving.
Blood Orange Topping
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture forms a thick syrup, stirring occasionally. Stir more often as syrup begins to thicken (you should have about 1 cup). Meanwhile, thinly slice blood oranges and kumquats; discard ends and any seeds. Add fruit to syrup, stirring to coat. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or just until fruit is tender, gently turning fruit in syrup several times. Using a slotted spoon, gently remove fruit from syrup. Continue to boil syrup, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes more or until syrup is reduced to about 3/4 cup. Cool about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Very Ginger Pound Cake)
- Per serving:
- 455 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 100 mg chol. ,
- 239 mg sodium ,
- 79 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 58 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.