Sundae Pound Cake
- Let butter, eggs, and sour cream stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Grease and flour a 6-cup fluted tube pan or 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan melt the sweet baking chocolate with milk and water over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat; cool slightly. In a small mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until softened. Gradually add sugar, beating until very light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating on low to medium speed for 1 minute after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and sour cream, beating on low speed just until combined. Stir in peel.
- Spread half of the batter in prepared pan. Drizzle with the chocolate mixture; top with remaining batter. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely.
- Spoon Dark Chocolate Glaze over cake. If desired, using a pastry bag with a small tip, pipe Milk Chocolate Drizzle and/or White Chocolate Drizzle over glaze. Serve with fresh strawberries and vanilla ice cream, if desired. Makes 12 servings.
Dark Chocolate Glaze
- In a small saucepan combine unsweetened chocolate, butter, and milk, stirring over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
Milk Chocolate Drizzle
- In a small saucepan combine milk chocolate, butter, and milk, stirring over low heat until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
From the Test Kitchen
White Chocolate Drizzle
Use 1/2 ounce white baking bar instead of the milk chocolate. Proceed as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Sundae Pound Cake)
- Per serving:
- 329 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 85 mg chol. ,
- 143 mg sodium ,
- 44 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.