Glazed Buttery Rum Fruit Cake
- In a small saucepan combine apricots, peaches, and rum or orange juice. Cook and stir over medium heat just until warm (do not boil). Remove from heat. Let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reserving soaking liquid to make glaze, drain the fruit well. Transfer fruit to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Cook for 10 to 16 minutes, until milk solids brown and butter smells nutty. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, until butter congeals but is not solid.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 10-inch fluted tube pan, then lightly dust with flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups of the flour, the baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. In a very large mixing bowl, combine congealed butter, eggs, granulated sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla; beat with electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Add flour mixture; beat on low speed just until combined. Toss remaining 1/3 cup flour with drained fruits; gently fold fruit into cake batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the center of oven for 65 to 75 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 25 minutes. Remove cake from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- Place the cake on a serving platter. For the glaze, iIn a small bowl combine the powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of the reserved soaking liquid, and 1 tablespoon of water until smooth. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons water, if needed, to thin to drizzling consistency. Drizzle glaze over cake, spreading slightly to reach the edges and allowing some glaze to run down the sides. Let stand 20 minutes before slicing.
From the Test Kitchen
After baking and cooling, the unglazed cake may be wrapped, labeled, and frozen up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature. The reserved liquid may be placed in a small container to freeze, or make the glaze with fresh rum or orange juice.
Nutrition Facts (Glazed Buttery Rum Fruit Cake)
- Per serving:
- 530 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 133 mg chol. ,
- 141 mg sodium ,
- 72 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 48 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.