Thai-Spiced Chicken and Pineapple Bites
- For Thai sauce, combine sweet and sour sauce, basil, Thai seasoning or five-spice powder, and garlic in a small bowl. Transfer 1/4 cup of the sauce to another bowl to use for basting. Reserve remaining sauce until ready to serve.
- For curry sauce, stir together margarine or butter, brown sugar, and curry powder, set aside.
- Twist off leafy top of pineapple; discard. Cut off both ends, exposing the flesh. Halve pineapple lengthwise. Place each half, core side down, on a cutting board, and cut crosswise into six 3/4-inch-thick slices. Using a paring knife, remove center core from slices. Set pineapple aside.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Thread chicken onto four 8- or 10-inch skewers. Grill chicken on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 12 to 14 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through, turning and brushing once with the Thai basting sauce.
- While chicken is grilling, arrange pineapple slices on the grill rack. Grill for 6 to 8 minutes or until heated through, turning once and brushing once or twice with the curry sauce.
- Cut pineapple slices into wedges. Remove chicken from skewers. For each serving, stack one piece of chicken on a pineapple wedge; secure with a cocktail-size skewer or pick. Serve with reserved Thai sauce for dipping. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Combine ingredients for Thai sauce and curry sauce, cut pineapple into slices, and thread chicken onto 8- or 10-inch skewers. Cover and store separately in refrigerator up to 1 day before the party.
Nutrition Facts (Thai-Spiced Chicken and Pineapple Bites)
- Per serving:
- 112 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 33 mg chol. ,
- 123 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 13 g pro.