Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole
- In a medium saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in rice and vermicelli mix (including seasoning package); cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes (liquid will not be fully absorbed).
- Transfer the rice mixture to a large bowl. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, chile peppers, basil, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered, in a 425 degrees F oven for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above through step 1. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Bake, covered, in a 425 degrees F oven about 40 minutes or until heated through. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 280 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 52 mg chol. ,
- 931 mg sodium ,
- 28 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 20 g pro.
How To Video
Oh, also my recipe calls for putting it back into the oven for 5 minutes after you sprinkle on the cheese. I think that's much better.