Stuffed Cornish Hens with Apple Brandy Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. For stuffing, in a medium saucepan combine onion, celery, carrot, raisins, water, bouillon granules, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain. Stir in the apple.
- Spoon stuffing into 4 mounds on the bottom of a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Place hen halves, cut side down, over the vegetable mounds. Bake, loosely covered, for 1 hour.
- Uncover hens; brush with some of the Apple-Brandy Sauce. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes more or until hens are tender and an instant-read thermometer registers 180 degrees F, brushing once or twice with more sauce.
- Using a wide spatula, transfer hens with stuffing to dinner plates. Sprinkle with almonds. Heat remaining sauce until bubbly and pass at the table. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Sauce can be made the day before without the brandy. Cover; chill. Stir in brandy, if desired, before using sauce.
- In a small saucepan combine apple juice, cornstarch, brown sugar, and ground cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir in brandy, if desired. Set aside.
Nutrition Facts (Stuffed Cornish Hens with Apple Brandy Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 439 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- 89 mg chol. ,
- 266 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 44 g pro.