Skewered Chicken with Papaya Chutney
- If using wooden skewers, place in water to soak.
- For chutney, in a medium saucepan combine apple, papaya, brown sugar, green sweet pepper, vinegar, raisins, the 2 tablespoons water, the 2 teaspoons lemon juice and the dash salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until fruit is tender and chutney is desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- In a small saucepan cook the onion in boiling water about 4 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet cook curry powder in hot oil for 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Add the 2 tablespoons lemon juice, the 1 tablespoon water, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes. On 4 long skewers thread chicken cubes, red or green sweet pepper, pineapple, and onion. Stir curry mixture; brush kabobs on all sides. Grill kabobs on an uncovered grill for 12 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink, turning as needed to brown evenly. (Or, place kabobs on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 5 to 6 inches from the heat about 10 minutes, turning as needed.) Serve with chutney. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare chutney; cover and chill up to 48 hours. Reheat in saucepan, over medium heat, stirring frequently.
Nutrition Facts (Skewered Chicken with Papaya Chutney)
- Per serving:
- 337 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 59 mg chol. ,
- 384 mg sodium ,
- 40 g carb. ,
- 23 g pro.