Holiday Roast Goose
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Rinse goose; pat dry with paper towels. Remove excess fat from cavity and neck. Sprinkle body cavity and rub the outside of the skin with marjoram and pepper.
- Skewer neck skin to back; tie legs to tail using 100 percent cotton kitchen string. Twist wings under back. Prick entire surface of bird with a fork.
- Place goose, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer into thigh meat (bulb should not touch the bone).
- Roast, uncovered, for 3 to 3-3/4 hours, or until the thermometer registers 180 degrees, drumsticks move easily in sockets, and juices run clear. Using a basting bulb, carefully remove and discard the hot, liquid fat as it accumulates during roasting.
- Baste goose with about 1/3 cup of Herb Glaze or Ginger-Honey Glaze during the last 15 minutes of roasting. Add vinegar or broth to remaining glaze as directed.
- Reheat glaze to serve as a sauce. Cover goose; let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- To serve, carve goose; pass remaining glaze to drizzle over sliced goose. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Ginger Honey Glaze
- In a small saucepan stir together honey, mustard, and ginger. Heat through. After glazing goose, stir chicken broth into remaining glaze before passing as a sauce.
- In a small bowl, stir together orange marmalade, parsley, and black pepper. After glazing goose, stir white vinegar into remaining mixture before passing as a sauce.
Nutrition Facts (Holiday Roast Goose)
- Per serving:
- 1026 kcal ,
- 83 g fat
- (25 g sat. fat ,
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 43 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 225 mg chol. ,
- 187 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 49 g pro.
Helen Erhardt Wawrzyniec 1137 Days Ago