Curried Chicken Siam
- Remove stems and seeds from chili peppers. Place in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand about 15 minutes or until softened. Drain. Chop chili peppers. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, for spice mixture, in a small bowl combine cilantro, lime peel, lemon grass or lemon peel, ginger, salt, nutmeg, cumin, and coriander. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Pour cooking oil into a wok or large skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add onions; stir-fry about 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add spice mixture; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken; stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until no pink remains. Discard lemon grass, if used.
- Add coconut milk, bamboo shoots, sweet pepper, and the chili peppers. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes more or until heated through. Stir in basil. If desired, arrange cucumber slices around the rim of a serving plate. Add meat mixture to plate. Serve immediately with hot cooked rice. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare vegetables; cover and chill up to 4 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Curried Chicken Siam)
- Per serving:
- 466 kcal ,
- 29 g fat
- (17 g sat. fat ,
- 41 mg chol. ,
- 339 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 18 g pro.