Chicken with Skillet Tomato Sauce
- Skin chicken, if desired. Sprinkle with the first 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; set aside. Place almonds in a 12-inch skillet. Cook over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until almonds are lightly toasted, stirring often; remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same 12-inch skillet heat olive oil. Add chicken to the skillet, placing meaty pieces toward the center. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 15 minutes or until lightly browned, turning to brown evenly. Reduce heat. Cook, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and keep warm. Remove chicken from skillet; drain off all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Cover chicken and keep warm while preparing sauce.
- For sauce, cook onion and garlic in the reserved drippings until tender; transfer to a blender container or food processor bowl*. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and red pepper. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth. Return mixture to skillet. Stir in olives. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Divide pasta among 4 bowls or plates. Top with a piece of chicken. Spoon sauce over chicken and pasta. Sprinkle with toasted almonds. Garnish with marjoram sprigs, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Feel free to skip the blending step if you like. Just combine all the sauce ingredients in the skillet and boil gently for 10 minutes, and you'll wind up with an invitingly chunky sauce.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken with Skillet Tomato Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 599 kcal ,
- 27 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 104 mg chol. ,
- 426 mg sodium ,
- 49 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 43 g pro.