Chicken with Long Beans and Walnuts
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together hoisin sauce, soy sauce, water, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan pre-cook long beans, covered, in small amount of boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes (cook whole green beans about 10 minutes) or until crisp-tender. Drain. Set aside.
- Pour cooking oil into a wok or large skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add onion; stir-fry about 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove onion mixture from the wok.
- Add walnuts to the hot wok; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Remove walnuts from the wok.
- Add chicken to the hot wok; stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until no pink remains. Return onion mixture and walnuts to the wok. Add beans.
- Stir sauce. Add sauce to the wok. Stir all ingredients together to coat with sauce. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through. Serve immediately over hot cooked rice. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Yard-long beans, more commonly called Chinese long beans, can grow to a length of 18 inches, but they cook in much less time than regular green beans. Look for them in Asian markets and some supermarkets.
Prepare vegetables; cover and chill up to 4 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken with Long Beans and Walnuts)
- Per serving:
- 363 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 45 mg chol. ,
- 817 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 23 g pro.