Potted Cactus Cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty four 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups, set aside.
- Using a serrated knife, carefully cut the bottom third off the ice cream cups. Place cone tops in prepared muffin cups. Place cup bottoms in a small resealable plastic bag and crush.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl beat butter for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar and beat for 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low after each addition just until combined.
- Carefully scoop chocolate batter into cone tops, filling 2/3 full. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl beat butter, vanilla, and salt with an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Tint with green food coloring.
- Transfer crushed cone bottoms to a small plate. Spread a very thin layer of frosting on the top of a cupcake cone. Remove paper bake cups. Press cupcake cone into crushed cones.
- Transfer remaining frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large open star tip and pipe cacti on top of each cone. Top with candy flowers, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
Cake mix substiution
Use 3 cups prepared chocolate cake batter in place of homemade batter.
Nutrition Facts (Potted Cactus Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 224 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 34 mg chol. ,
- 133 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 29 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.