Potato-Bacon Batter Bread with Caramelized Onions
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Transfer 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings in skillet to a small bowl; set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the remaining drippings from skillet.
- Cook onion in hot drippings in skillet over medium heat about 6 minutes or until dark brown. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Brush the reserved bacon drippings over the bottom and sides of a 2-quart square baking dish. Sprinkle bottom and sides of dish generously with cornmeal; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine warm milk and yeast; let stand until mixture is foamy. Add butter, egg, salt, and 1 cup of the flour. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the remaining 2 cups flour, the bacon, onion, and mashed potatoes until a soft, sticky batter forms.
- Transfer batter to the prepared baking dish. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 40 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until loaf is golden brown. Cool in dish on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from dish. Serve warm or cool completely on wire rack.
From the Test Kitchen
For 1 cup mashed potatoes, cook 2 small peeled and quartered red or russet potatoes (12 ounces total) in lightly salted boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes or until very tender; drain well. Use an electric mixer or a potato masher to mash potato. Or use 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes or refrigerated mashed potatoes.
To Make Ahead:
Place cooled bread in an airtight container or wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To freeze, place cooled bread in an airtight container or resealable freezer bag; freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw wrapped bread in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts (Potato-Bacon Batter Bread with Caramelized Onions)
- Per serving:
- 23 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 39 mg chol. ,
- 331 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.