Potato, Bacon, and Parmesan Frittata
- In a covered medium saucepan cook the potatoes in enough boiling lightly salted water to cover about 10 minutes or just until tender. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. In a large broilerproof skillet with flared sides cook bacon over medium-high heat until starting to crisp. Add onion; cook about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the cooked potatoes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, Parmesan cheese, the 2 tablespoons parsley, the salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture. Cook over medium-low heat. As mixture sets, run a spatula around edge of skillet, lifting egg mixture so uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking and lifting edges until egg mixture is almost set (surface will be moist).
- Place skillet under the broiler, 4 to 5 inches from heat. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until top is set and no longer wet. (Or, preheat oven to 400 degrees F and bake about 5 minutes or until top is set and no longer wet.) Let stand for 5 minutes. Slide frittata out onto a serving platter. If desired, sprinkle with additional parsley.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare Frittata Rustica as directed, except substitute 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage (remove casings, if present) for the bacon and add 1 1/2 cups sliced assorted fresh mushrooms along with the onion. Scatter 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes over frittata before serving.
Nutrition analysis: 261 calories, 19 g protein, 20 g carb., 12 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 265 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 13% Vitamin A, 19% Vitamin C, 695 mg sodium, 14% calcium, 12% iron
Nutrition Facts (Potato, Bacon, and Parmesan Frittata)
- Per serving:
- 257 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 264 mg chol. ,
- 727 mg sodium ,
- 18 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 16 g pro.