Pot of Gold Rainbow Cake
- Bake cake mixes according to package directions using four 8- or 9-inch round baking pans. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, divide frosting into 7 bowls (2 cups frosting per bowl). Tint each bowl a different color, leaving one bowl white. Transfer each color frosting (except white) to quart/size resealable plastic bags.
- Trim cake tops, if desired. Cut a circle out of two of the cake layers, leaving about a 2-inch border.
- To assemble, place a whole cake layer on cake board or cake stand set on a turn table. Spread with a thin layer of white frosting. Repeat with the two cake layer rings. Fill the cake with the gold candy-coated chocolate balls. Top with remaining whole cake layer.
- Spread a thin coat of white frosting around entire cake. Chill 30 minutes. Snip the corner of each bag of frosting making about a 1/2-inch opening. Pipe a 1-inch thick line of colored frosting around the outside of the cake making rings. Repeat with remaining colors, alternating as desired, layer one after another like horizontal stripes. Using a bench scraper or plastic ruler, smooth the frosting in 1 sideways motion white carefully spinning the turn table. Pipe 1-inch thick rings on top of the cake, alternating colors as desired, creating a "bulls-eye". Hold the bench scraper halfway across the top of the cake and spin the turn table while smoothing the frosting.