Sugar-and-Spice Pork Ribs
- For rub, in a small bowl combine sugar, paprika, seasoned salt, hickory-flavored salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Remove 1/4 cup of the rub. (Store remaining rub in a tightly covered container.)
- Pull membrane off the back of the ribs; trim fat from ribs. Sprinkle the 1/4 cup rub evenly over both sides of ribs; rub in with your fingers. Wrap ribs tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 8 to 24 hours.
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover. Drain before using.
- Prepare grill and wood chips for indirect grilling. Test for medium heat above the drip pan. Place ribs, bone sides down, on the grill rack over the drip pan. (Or place ribs in a rib rack; place on grill rack over the drip pan.) Cover and grill for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until ribs are tender; brush once with barbecue sauce during the last 15 minutes of grilling. Add additional coals and wood chips as needed to maintain temperature and smoke.
- In a small saucepan heat remaining barbecue sauce until bubbly; pass with ribs. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and chill ribs as directed above. Substitute 8 to 10 hickory wood chunks for the wood chips. In a smoker arrange preheated coals, drained wood chunks, and water pan according to manufacturer's directions. Pour water into pan. Place ribs, bone sides down, on grill rack over water pan. Cover and smoke for 3 to 4 hours or until ribs are tender; brush once with barbecue sauce during the last 15 minutes of smoke cooking. In a small saucepan heat remaining barbecue sauce until bubbly; pass with ribs. Add additional coals, wood chunks, and water as needed to maintain temperature and smoke.