Smoky Braised Pork Shoulder 2011
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a small bowl combine the smoked salt, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, and pepper. Lightly sprinkle pork with the spice mixture, then sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons cocoa powder.
- In a large Dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat. Brown pork on all sides; transfer to a platter. Add onions and garlic to pan; cook for 2 minutes. Add orange juice, the 3/4 cup cocoa powder, and 4 cups chicken stock. Return pork to pan, completely submerged. If not completely submerged, add more stock.
- Cover and place in oven. Braise for 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours, until the pork is fork tender.
- Remove the pork from Dutch oven to a serving platter. Shave dark chocolate on pork. For sauce, strain the braising liquid then return liquid to pan. Boil, uncovered, over high heat for 10 minutes to concentrate flavors. Sprinkle pork with parsley. Pass sauce with pork.
From the Test Kitchen
Leftover braising liquid can be frozen and used in soups or gravies.
Nutrition Facts (Smoky Braised Pork Shoulder 2011)
- Per serving:
- 167 kcal ,
- 38 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 18 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 123 mg chol. ,
- 893 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 34 g pro.