Rumaki-Style Scallop Kabobs
- Thaw scallops, if frozen. Halve any large ones. Place scallops in a plastic bag set in a deep mixing bowl. For marinade, in a bowl stir together the white wine, olive oil or cooking oil, lemon juice, Dijon-style mustard, and pepper. Pour over scallops in bag. Close bag and turn to coat scallops well. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or in the refrigerator for 2 hours, turning bag occasionally. Drain scallops, reserving marinade.
- Meanwhile, cook the yellow squash or zucchini in a small amount of boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cut prosciutto or ham into 1-inch-wide strips. Wrap each scallop with a basil leaf and then with a strip of meat. On four 9- or 10-inch skewers alternately thread the wrapped scallops and squash.
- To grill, if desired, place basil sprigs directly on medium-hot coals. Place skewers on greased rack of an uncovered grill. Grill directly over coals 10 to 12 minutes or until scallops are opaque, brushing scallops and squash with marinade and turning occasionally. Add 2 cherry tomatoes to each skewer the last 1 to 2 minutes of cooking.
- Or, to broil, place skewers on the greased unheated rack of a broiler pan. Do not use basil sprigs. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat 8 to 10 minutes or until scallops are opaque, brushing kabobs with marinade and turning occasionally. Add 2 tomatoes to each skewer for the last 1 minute of cooking. Makes 2 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Accent these elegant scallop kabobs with a side dish of orzo or rice and wedges of radicchio drizzled with Garlic Vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts (Rumaki-Style Scallop Kabobs)
- Per serving:
- 323 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 53 mg chol. ,
- 718 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 29 g pro.