Potato Croquettes Stuffed with Cheese
- In a medium saucepan cook potatoes, covered, in enough boiling water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain. Mash potatoes; stir in the 1 egg or the 1/4 cup egg product. Add the prosciutto or ham, Parmesan or Romano cheese, and fresh basil; mix well.
- Divide the potato mixture into 18 portions and form into balls. Using your finger, make an indentation in each ball. Place a cube of mozzarella cheese in the indentation and mold potato mixture to enclose cheese.
- Combine the bread crumbs, dried basil, oregano, paprika, garlic powder, and salt. Roll each potato ball in the bread crumb mixture. Dip balls into the 1 beaten egg or 1/4 cup egg product; roll again in bread crumb mixture.
- To serve, place the croquettes on a large lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until heated through (allow about 12 minutes if chilled).
- Meanwhile, if desired, in a small saucepan heat marinara sauce until bubbling. Serve the croquettes warm with marinara sauce. Makes 9 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed above. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 12 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Potato Croquettes Stuffed with Cheese)
- Per serving:
- 136 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 57 mg chol. ,
- 282 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 8 g pro.