Barbecued Pork Spareribs with Cucumber-Potato Salad
- Cut ribs into 3- to 4-rib portions. Place rib portions in a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven. Add lightly salted water to pan to just cover ribs. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Drain. Cool slightly. Transfer to an extra-large resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
- In a medium bowl combine hoisin sauce, bean sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and pepper. Remove 1/2 cup sauce mixture to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate. Add remaining mixture to ribs in bag; seal bag. Refrigerate overnight, turning bag occasionally.
- In a small saucepan combine reserved 1/2 cup sauce mixture and the lemon juice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly thickened and reduced to 1/3 to 1/2 cup. Remove from heat; stir in honey. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degree F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil. Place ribs, meaty sides up, on a rack in the prepared pan. Brush about 1/4 cup of the honey mixture over ribs. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until glazed and heated through.
- Transfer ribs to a platter; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with Cucumber-Potato Salad and remaining sauce mixture. Makes: 6 servings
From the Test Kitchen
To toast sesame seeds, spread seeds in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 5 to 10 minutues or until light golden brown, watching carefully and stirring once or twice so the seeds don't burn.
- Nutrition Facts per serving potato salad: 186 cal, 7 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol, 303 mg sodium, 28 g carbo, 3 g fiber, 4 g pro. Daily Values: 2% vit. A, 41% vit. C, 3% calcium, 12% iron.
- Halve tiny new golden potatoes. Place in a large saucepan. Add water to cover and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or just until tender; drain. Meanwhile, for dressing, in a screw-top jar combine thinly sliced green onions; salad oil; rice vinegar; toasted sesame oil; garlic; salt, sugar; and crushed red pepper. Cover and shake to combine ingredients. In a very large bowl combine warm potatoes and cucumber, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces. Add dressing to potatoes; stir gently to coat. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Sprinkle lightly with toasted sesame seeds*. Makes about 6 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Barbecued Pork Spareribs with Cucumber-Potato Salad)
- Per serving:
- 615 kcal ,
- 44 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 19 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 144 mg chol. ,
- 447 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 33 g pro.