Pork Verde Tacos
- Trim fat from meat. In a large skillet brown meat on all sides in hot oil. Place meat in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a food processor or blender combine celery, onion, the water, chile peppers, garlic, salt, chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, oregano, and black pepper. Cover and process or blend until almost smooth. Pour over meat in cooker. Add bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. Remove meat from cooker; discard bay leaves and cooking liquid. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Return shredded meat to cooker; stir in green salsa. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more.
- Serve with Jalapeno Sauce, corn tortillas, and, if desired, cabbage, cheese, and/or lime wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
Homemade Taco Shells:
In a large saucepan heat 1 inch of vegetable oil to 365 degrees F. Fry corn tortillas in hot oil for 2 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
- In a medium bowl stir together mayonnaise, cilantro, chile pepper, vinegar, the water, garlic, salt, and black pepper.
Nutrition Facts (Pork Verde Tacos)
- Per serving:
- 492 kcal ,
- 30 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 12 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 117 mg chol. ,
- 822 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 37 g pro.