Pork Enchiladas in Mulato Pine Nut Sauce
- Heat a dry 5- to 6-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chile peppers; toast 2 minutes or until fragrant and slightly darkened, turning frequently. Add next five ingredients (through black pepper). Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor or blender. Add honey and soy sauce. Cover and process or blend 2 to 5 minutes or until smooth. Return to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling. Stir in meat; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat, reserving broth mixture. Shred meat using two forks.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 3-qt rectangular baking dish. For sauce, skim fat from broth mixture. Add half-and-half. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and additional black pepper.
- Divide meat and cheese among tortillas; roll up. Place, seam sides down, in prepared baking dish. Top with sauce and, if desired, additional cheese. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through. If desired, sprinkle with additional toasted pine nuts and rosemary.
From the Test Kitchen
For a healthier option, replace the pork with skinless, boneless chicken thighs. Simmer the chicken in the sauce 30 to 45 minutes or until tender. Shred chicken and assemble enchiladas as directed.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 577 calories, 45 g protein, 27 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 175 mg cholesterol, 9 g mono fat, 8 g poly fat, 935 mg sodium, 22% calcium, 24% iron
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
Nutrition Facts (Pork Enchiladas in Mulato Pine Nut Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 679 kcal ,
- 40 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 15 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 119 mg chol. ,
- 877 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 41 g pro.