Pork Chops with Currant-Nut Stuffing
- Trim fat from chops. Make a pocket in each chop by cutting a horizontal slit from the fat side of the chop almost to the bone. Set aside.
- For stuffing, in a mixing bowl stir together the stuffing mix, hazelnuts or pecans, currants or raisins, green onion, and margarine or butter. In another bowl, stir together the water and bouillon granules. Toss stuffing mixture with 3 tablespoons of the water mixture. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the stuffing into each pork chop pocket. If necessary, fasten pockets with wooden toothpicks. Stir the remaining water mixture into the remaining stuffing.
- Place stuffed chops on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Place remaining stuffing in a small greased casserole; cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan cook and stir the jelly, lemon juice or wine vinegar, and ginger until jelly is melted. Brush tops of chops with glaze.
- Bake chops, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Brush again with glaze. Place casserole with stuffing in oven beside the pork chops. Bake about 15 minutes more or until juices run clear and stuffing is heated through.
- To serve, brush chops with remaining glaze. Transfer chops to individual plates. Spoon stuffing from casserole onto plates. If desired, garnish with raspberries and sage leaves. Makes 2 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare stuffing; cover and chill up to 4 hours. Stuff chops and bake as above.
Nutrition Facts (Pork Chops with Currant-Nut Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 551 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 77 mg chol. ,
- 739 mg sodium ,
- 61 g carb. ,
- 37 g pro.