Pork Chops in Salsa Verde
- In a covered large saucepan cook tomatillos, onion, jalapeno, and garlic in a large amount of boiling water about 8 minutes or until tomatillos turn light green. Drain.
- In a blender combine the tomatillo mixture, cilantro, pepitas, honey, and the 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Trim excess fat from pork chops. Sprinkle chops with additional salt and pepper. In a large skillet cook chops in hot oil over medium-high heat about 5 minutes or until browned, turning once.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the tomatillo mixture to skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 to 8 minutes or until chops are slightly pink in the centers (145 degrees F). Let stand for 3 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with queso fresco to serve.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Chicken in Sala Verde:
Prepare Pork Chops in Salsa Verde as directed through Step 3, except use four 5- to 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast halves instead of the pork chops. Cook as directed in Step 4 until done (165 degrees F). Sprinkle with queso fresco.
Nutrition facts per serving: 281 calories, 34 g protein, 8 g carbohydrate, 13 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 4 g total sugar, 5% Vitamin A, 23% Vitamin C, 468 mg sodium, 6% calcium, 9% iron
Salmon in Salsa Verde:
Prepare Pork Chops in Salsa Verde as directed through Step 2, except use four 4- to 6-ounce skinless salmon fillets, each about 1 1/2 inches thick, instead of the pork chops. Rinse salmon; pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Cook in hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned, turning once. Add the tomatillo mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat, Simmer, covered, for 9 to 16 minutes or just until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Sprinkle with queso fresco.,
Nutrition facts per serving: 281 calories, 27 g protein, 8 g carbohydrate, 16 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 4 g total sugar, 5% Vitamin A, 20% Vitamin C, 354 mg sodium, 7% calcium, 11% iron
Cover and chill the remaining tomatillo mixture for up to 1 week. Serve with tortilla chips or tacos.
Nutrition Facts (Pork Chops in Salsa Verde)
- Per serving:
- 264 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 83 mg chol. ,
- 370 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 29 g pro.