- In blender add water, onion, garlic, the 1 Tbsp. salt, marjoram, thyme, pepper, cumin, and cloves. Blend smooth.
- In Dutch oven heat lard over medium- high heat. Add pork; top with 1/2 tsp. salt. Brown pork 10 minutes; turn occasionally.
- Pour onion mixture over pork. Bring to a simmer; cook 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in bay leaves, juice, and milk. Cover; simmer 11/2 to 2 hours or until meat pulls apart easily, stirring occasionally. Uncover; simmer 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Discard bay leaves. Skim fat from liquid. Shred meat with a fork; toss with cooking liquid to moisten, if desired. For tacos, serve meat with tortillas, salsa, jalapenos, and radishes.
- Heat a griddle or heavy skillet over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until very hot. Meanwhile, cut two 8-inch circles from plastic produce bags or plastic wrap. In bowl mix flour, water, and salt. Stir to form a smooth dough (if dough feels coarse, add a little more water). Shape into 16 smooth balls. Cover with damp dish towel or plastic wrap. To make tortillas, place a plastic circle on bottom of tortilla press; top with a dough ball. Place other circle on top of the ball; clamp press down to make a flat disk. (If tortilla edges look cracked and jagged, dough needs a little more water.) To flatten without a press, roll between pieces of plastic wrap with rolling pin. Open press; remove top plastic piece. Lift tortilla; peel off plastic. Cook tortilla on griddle 30 seconds or until spatula can lift it without sticking. Turn; cook 1 minute. Turn again; cook 10 to 15 seconds or until tortilla puffs in spots; cook 15 to 20 seconds to brown. Transfer to paper towel. Repeat with remaining dough. Store in resealable plastic bag in refrigerator up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months. To reheat, place on hot griddle for 30 seconds per side.
Salsa Verde Cruda
- In a blender combine tomatillos, avocado, cilantro, onion, chile pepper, and 1/2 tsp. kosher salt. Blend until smooth.
Nutrition Facts (Pork Carnitas)
- Per serving:
- 476 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 138 mg chol. ,
- 550 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 46 g pro.
livingroomfloor 655 Days Ago
I made this and it was fantastic! Such great flavor, and fairly easy to put together. I've tried both stovetop and crock pot recipes, and this is the best I've made.
Joyce Spatz 895 Days Ago
I made the pork carnitas, but modified the recipe by replacing the orange juice and sweetened condensed milk with equal parts evaporated milk and Coke Zero. The flavor of the meat received rave reviews. I will definitely make this one again.