Pork Carnitas with Tomato-Avocado Salsa
- In a small bowl combine first eight ingredients (through cayenne pepper). Sprinkle half of the mixture over meat; rub in with your fingers. Place meat in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Add the water.
- Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours or on high 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from cooker. Coarsely shred meat using two forks; transfer to a large bowl. Add onion and remaining spice mixture; toss gently to coat.
- To serve, spoon meat mixture onto lettuce and top with Tomato-Avocado Salsa. Roll up lettuce around filling.
From the Test Kitchen
Saute Finishing Option
Prepare as directed through Step 3. In a large skillet heat 1/3 cup olive oil over medium heat 2 minutes. Add half of the meat mixture; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until meat is browned and crisp on edges, turning once with a large spatula. (Avoid stirring the mixture constantly or meat will not brown well). Remove with a slotted spoon; keep warm. Repeat with remaining meat mixture, adding additional olive oil if necessary.
- Remove 1/2 teaspoon zest and 2 tablespoons juice from lime. In a medium bowl combine the lime zest and juice and the remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Facts (Pork Carnitas with Tomato-Avocado Salsa)
- Per serving:
- 199 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 61 mg chol. ,
- 562 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.