Pork and Sweet Potato Empanadas
- For filling, in a large skillet cook pork, onion, and garlic over medium heat until pork is brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat. Stir sweet potato, tomato sauce, raisins, ground chile pepper, mustard, cumin, and the 1/4 teaspoon salt into pork mixture in skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- For pastry, in a large bowl combine flour and the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl beat together the 1/2 cup milk and one of the eggs with a fork. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture; stir until combined. If dough seems too dry, add enough additional milk (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make a dough that is easy to handle. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a ball. Divide dough into eight portions.
- On a lightly floured surface roll each portion of dough into a 6-inch circle. Place about 1/2 cup of filling in the center of each dough circle. Brush edge of each dough circle with milk; fold dough circle in half, pinching edge to seal. If desired, press edge with tines of a fork. Place filled empanadas on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a small bowl place remaining egg and the water; beat together using a fork. Brush egg mixture over empanadas. Prick tops with tines of a fork. Bake about 20 minutes or until empanadas are golden brown and heated through.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Place filled empanadas on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Place baking sheet in the freezer and freeze about 2 hours or until firm. Transfer empanadas to a resealable freezer bag or an airtight freezer container. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 6 months. Before baking, transfer empanadas to an ungreased baking sheet. Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Pork and Sweet Potato Empanadas)
- Per serving:
- 558 kcal ,
- 32 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 110 mg chol. ,
- 483 mg sodium ,
- 49 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 18 g pro.