Pork and Poblano Green Chili
The day before:
- In a food processor combine poblano peppers, sweet pepper, and garlic. Cover and process until finely chopped. In a large skillet cook ground pork and onion over medium heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat. Add pepper mixture; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Transfer meat mixture to a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter. Stir in beans, green salsa, broth, and cumin. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours; cool slightly. If desired, mash beans slightly with a potato masher. Transfer chili to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Return chili to slow cooker. Stir mixture well. Cover and reheat on high-heat setting about 2 hours or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. Tote cilantro and, if desired, sour cream and/or red salsa in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep chili warm on warm-heat setting. Before serving, stir in snipped cilantro. Top each serving with cilantro leaves, sour cream, and/or red salsa. If desired, serve with corn chips.
From the Test Kitchen
*Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Nutrition Facts (Pork and Poblano Green Chili)
- Per serving:
- 430 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 74 mg chol. ,
- 1152 mg sodium ,
- 37 g carb. ,
- 9 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 27 g pro.