Pork and Butternut Squash Paella
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil. Toss squash in pan with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender and browned; set aside. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine saffron and 1/4 cup hot water; let stand 10 minutes.
- In a 15-inch paella pan heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add pork to pan. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add onion and garlic to pan. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and paprika. Cook and stir 5 minutes more or until tomatoes are thickened and almost pastelike.
- Add chicken broth, saffron mixture, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to boiling over high heat. Add rice and chickpeas to pan, stirring to evenly distribute. Cook, without stirring, until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 10 to 12 minutes. (If your pan is bigger than your burner, rotate it every few minutes to ensure the rice cooks evenly). Reduce heat to low; return pork and squash to pan, nestling down into the rice mixture. Cook, without stirring, 5 to 10 minutes more until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is al dente. Turn heat to high. Cook, without stirring, 1 to 2 minutes more (edges should look dry and a crust should form on the bottom). Remove from heat. Cover pan with foil. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Top with hazelnuts and sage.
From the Test Kitchen
To grate tomatoes, core and cut tomatoes in half. Grate on the coarse holes of a box grater into a shallow dish. Discard skins.
Prepare as directed except reduce rice to 1 1/2 cups and reduce chicken broth to 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Pork and Butternut Squash Paella)
- Per serving:
- 554 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 49 mg chol. ,
- 875 mg sodium ,
- 74 g carb. ,
- 7 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 28 g pro.