Porcini Meatball Soup with Swiss Chard Ribbons
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a shallow baking pan with parchment paper; set aside. Place dried mushrooms in a medium bowl; pour boiling water over mushrooms. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms, reserving liquid. Finely chop mushrooms.
- For meatballs, in another medium bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of the onion, 1/4 cup of the cheese, the milk, oregano, salt, garlic, and chopped mushrooms. Add ground beef; mix well. Shape mixture into thirty 1-inch meatballs. Place meatballs in the prepared baking pan. Bake about 10 minutes or until meatballs are brown. Remove with a slotted spoon.*
- Slowly pour all but about 1/4 cup of the reserved mushroom liquid (discard liquid at bottom of bowl, which may be gritty) into a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in broth, tomatoes, celery, and the remaining 1/4 cup onion. Carefully add meatballs to mixture in cooker. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in Swiss chard. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more. Garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, cover and chill meatballs and the reserved mushroom liquid separately for up to 24 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Porcini Meatball Soup with Swiss Chard Ribbons)
- Per serving:
- 196 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 75 mg chol. ,
- 663 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 19 g pro.