- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. With a knife, cut an X into the shells of chestnuts. Spread chestnuts on a large baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes; cool. Peel and coarsely chop chestnuts; set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, fennel, onion, and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in chestnuts, salami, 1/4 cup of the cheese, the thyme, parsley, pepper, and salt. Place the bread cubes in an extra-large bowl; add onion mixture. Drizzle with enough broth to moisten, tossing lightly to combine.
- Meanwhile, place mushrooms in a medium bowl; cover with the boiling water. Let stand for 15 minutes; drain. If necessary, snip any large pieces of mushroom. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Transfer bread mixture to a 3-quart casserole.*** Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, covered, for 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through.
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, use one 8-ounce jar or one 10-ounce can whole peeled chestnuts, drained and chopped, in place of the fresh chestnuts.
To make dry bread cubes, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spread cubes in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cubes are dry, stirring twice; cool. (Cubes will continue to dry and crisp as they cool.) Or let bread cubes stand, loosely covered, at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours.
If you like, use bread mixture to stuff an 8- to 10-pound turkey.
Prepare as directed, except do not bake. Cool stuffing. Cover with plastic wrap; chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap; bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Porcini-Chestnut Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 329 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 39 mg chol. ,
- 37 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.