Poppy Seed Rugelach
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter, and the 1/4 cup granulated sugar with a mixer on medium to high until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 teaspoon of the lemon zest, the vanilla, and salt. Add flour; beat on low just until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball. Cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, for filling, stir together poppy seed filling, the 2 tablespoons sugar, and the remaining 1 teaspoon lemon peel.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface roll one portion of dough at a time into a 9-inch circle. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the filling onto the circle; spread to 1/2 inch from the edge. Cut circle into 12 wedges. Starting at the wide edge, roll up each wedge. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets, point sides down. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and chill for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together egg and milk until frothy. Brush lightly on cookies.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until tops are light golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack; cool. If desired, sprinkle cooled cookies lightly with powdered sugar.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Poppy Seed Rugelach)
- Per serving:
- 102 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 19 mg chol. ,
- 68 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.