Pollo Plaza de Morelia (Chicken Plaza Morelia Style)
- For sauce, heat a dry, extra-large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chile peppers; toast until fragrant, turning frequently. Cut open peppers; discard stems and seeds.* In a small saucepan bring 2 cups of the broth to boiling. Add chile peppers. Let stand, covered, 20 minutes (do not drain).
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Place onion and garlic on a baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly charred, turning once and removing garlic halfway through broiling. Peel garlic. In a blender or food processor combine chile peppers with soaking liquid, onion and garlic, honey, salt, and oregano. Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- In the extra-large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, half at a time if necessary, and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until browned, turning once. Remove from skillet; drain off fat. Return skillet to heat. Add remaining 1/2 cup broth, stirring to scrape up any crusty brown bits. Add potatoes and carrots. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in sauce; return chicken. Simmer, covered, 20 to 25 minutes more or until chicken is done (at least 175 degrees F). Remove chicken. Using a slotted spoon, remove vegetables from sauce.
- Serve chicken and vegetables over lettuce. Top with half of the sauce and the Mexican Crema. Sprinkle with queso fresco. Pass the remaining sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
Nutrition Facts (Pollo Plaza de Morelia (Chicken Plaza Morelia Style))
- Per serving:
- 786 kcal ,
- 50 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 12 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 18 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 193 mg chol. ,
- 1225 mg sodium ,
- 37 g carb. ,
- 9 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 47 g pro.