Poached Egg Salad with Citrus Dressing
- For salad dressing, in a small bowl whisk together oil, lemon juice, orange peel, orange juice, and tarragon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- For poached eggs, line a dinner plate with paper towels; set aside. Fill a large skillet with 2 inches of water; add vinegar. Bring the vinegar mixture to boiling; reduce heat to simmering (bubbles should begin to break the surface of the water). Break one of the 4 eggs into a cup and slip egg into the simmering water. Repeat with remaining 3 eggs, allowing each egg an equal amount of space in the skillet. Simmer eggs, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Using a slotted spoon gently transfer eggs to prepared plate to dry.
- Slice the goat cheese into 12 slices. Chill for 10 minutes. In a shallow bowl lightly beat the remaining 2 eggs. Place flour in a second shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs in a third shallow bowl. Coat each goat cheese slice in flour. Dip in beaten eggs; coat with bread crumbs. Chill coated slices on a plate for another 10 minutes. Heat the 4 tablespoons olive oil a medium saute pan over medium heat. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- In a large bowl toss the arugula and watercress with salad dressing.
- To serve, divide greens among four plates; top each with a poached egg and 3 goat cheese rounds. Season with additional salt and pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
For a tangier dressing substitute lime peel and juice for the orange peel and juice.
Assemble as directed, except substitute fried eggs for the poached eggs. To fry eggs, coat an unheated large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Break eggs into skillet. If desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low; cook eggs for 3 to 4 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks start to thicken. For fried eggs over easy or over hard, when the whites are completely set and the yolks start to thicken, turn eggs and cook for 30 seconds more (for over easy) or 1 minute more (for over hard).
Goat Cheese Salad with Citrus Dressing:
Assemble as directed, except substitute crumbled goat cheese for the poached eggs.
Nutrition Facts (Poached Egg Salad with Citrus Dressing)
- Per serving:
- 205 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 212 mg chol. ,
- 225 mg sodium ,
- 3 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.