Planked Jalapeno Pepper and Mint Lamb Rack
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak plank in enough water to cover. Place a weight on plank so it stays submerged during soaking.
- In a blender or food processor combine cilantro, mint, jalapeno pepper, orange peel, orange juice, honey, garlic, and salt. Cover and blend until a paste forms, stopping and scraping sides of blender or food processor as needed; set aside.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange coals around outside edge of grill. Place plank in the center of the grill rack. Meanwhile, place roast on grill rack over coals. Grill for 4 to 6 minutes or until grill marks appear, turning roast halfway through grilling. Remove roast from grill; spread cilantro paste over all sides of meat. Sprinkle with bread crumbs; pat into place to adhere.
- Place roast on plank. Cover; grill about 45 minutes or until 135 degrees F for medium rare. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect grilling. Place plank over unlit side of grill. Cook roast over lit side of grill as directed in Step 3; spread with paste and top with bread crumbs. Place roast on plank. Cover and grill as above.)
- Transfer roast to a serving platter. Cover with foil; let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
From the Test Kitchen
Because hot chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Planked Jalapeno Pepper and Mint Lamb Rack)
- Per serving:
- 566 kcal ,
- 47 g fat
- (20 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 19 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 116 mg chol. ,
- 417 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 26 g pro.