Plank Smoked Salmon with Grilled Pepper Relish
- Thaw salmon if frozen. Rinse salmon; pat dry with paper towels and set aside. Soak the grill plank in enough water to cover for at least 1 hour before grilling.
- For marinade, in a small bowl combine soy sauce, the 1/4 cup vinegar, the honey, ginger, and crushed red pepper. Place salmon in a large resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Pour marinade over salmon. Seal bag; turn bag to coat salmon with marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour, turning occasionally. (Marinating longer will give the fish too strong a flavor.) Remove salmon from the marinade; discard marinade.
- For a gas or charcoal grill, grill sweet peppers on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until blistered and charred, turning occasionally. Wrap peppers in foil, folding edges together to enclose peppers; let stand for 15 minutes. Using a sharp knife, loosen edges of skins; gently pull off skins in strips and discard. Chop peppers into 1/2-inch pieces, discarding stems, seeds, and membranes.
- While peppers are standing, place plank on the rack of the uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until plank begins to crackle and smoke. Place salmon fillet, skin side down, on grill plank. Cover and grill for 18 to 22 minutes or until fish begins to flake when tested with a fork.
- In a medium bowl stir together the chopped sweet peppers, the basil, olives, olive oil, the 2 teaspoons vinegar, the salt, and black pepper.
- Sprinkle salmon with green onions and serve with the sweet pepper mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
Chill half of the smoked salmon (about 15 ounces cooked salmon). In a large bowl beat 1 egg with a fork; stir in 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs, 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, and 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or cilantro. Using two forks, flake the chilled smoked salmon into small pieces. Add flaked salmon to bread crumb mixture; stir to combine. Using your hands, shape mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick cakes. In a very large skillet heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Arrange salmon cakes in a single layer in the skillet. Cook about 8 minutes or until done (an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of each cake registers 160 degrees F) and lightly browned, turning once halfway through cooking time. For topping, in a small bowl stir together 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro, 1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel, and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Serve topping over salmon cakes. Makes 4 servings.
Per salmon cake: 379 calories, 25 g protein, 7 g carbohydrate, 27 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 127 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 2 g total sugar, 8% Vitamin A, 5% Vitamin C, 264 mg sodium, 6% calcium, 9% iron
Look for a grill plank in the grilling supplies section of hardware and home supply stores.
Nutrition Facts (Plank Smoked Salmon with Grilled Pepper Relish)
- Per serving:
- 196 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 62 mg chol. ,
- 197 mg sodium ,
- 5 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 23 g pro.