Pizza On The Grill
- In a large bowl combine 2-1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar, salt, and pepper; add warm water and the 1/4 cup olive oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes). (Or cover dough and let rise overnight in refrigerator.)
- Punch down dough. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of the dough into a 10- to 11-inch circle. To carry dough rounds to grill, stack dough rounds on a baking sheet between sheets of waxed paper or parchment paper that have been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Prepare grill for indirect grilling, except omit drip pan. Test for medium heat above the center of the grill. Brush one side of a dough round with oil. Place round, oiled side down, on grill rack in the center of the grill (not over heat). Cover and grill about 6 minutes or until bottom is brown and firm. Transfer dough round to a clean surface, grilled side up. Repeat with remaining dough rounds, removing waxed paper or parchment paper before brushing.
- Top the grilled side of one dough round with Tomato-Basil Topping, one with Ham-and-Cheese Topping, one with Olive-Pepper Topping, and one with Salad Topping.
- Place an assembled pizza on grill rack in center of grill (not over heat). Cover and grill for 6 to 8 minutes or until bottom is brown and cheese has melted. Remove pizza from grill. Repeat with remaining pizzas. Makes 4 pizzas (4 servings each).
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
The dough rounds cook quickly, so have all the topping ingredients assembled before you start grilling. A good time to do this is while the dough rises.
- Place plum tomatoes and mozzarella cheese onto grilled side of one dough round. Grill pizza as directed. Top grilled pizza with basil leaves before serving.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and rosemary onto grilled side of one dough round. Grill pizza as directed. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine mesclun and balsamic vinaigrette; toss to coat. Spoon mesclun mixture evenly onto grilled pizza; grill for 1 minute more.
- Crumble goat cheese evenly onto the grilled side of one dough round. In a small bowl combine olives, yellow sweet pepper, and tomatoes. Arrange evenly on cheese. Grill pizza as directed.
- Place cheese, prosciutto or smoked ham, and sage onto grilled side of one dough round. Grill pizza as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Pizza On The Grill)
- Per serving:
- 451 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 45 mg chol. ,
- 1081 mg sodium ,
- 40 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 22 g pro.