Recipes and Cooking Pizza Dough 3.9 (14) 3 Reviews This homemade Pizza Dough recipe might just give your favorite pizza parlor's crust a run for its money! Once you learn how to make pizza dough, you'll never turn to a store-bought pizza base again. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on June 21, 2012 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 20 mins Stand Time: 10 mins Total Time: 30 mins Yield: 1-1/2 pounds dough Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 cup warm water (120°F to 130°F) 1 package active dry yeast 2 ½ - 3 ¼ cup all-purpose flour ⅓ cup vegetable oil or olive oil ½ teaspoon salt Directions In a large mixing bowl combine warm water and yeast, stirring to dissolve yeast. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 2 1/2 cups of the flour, the oil, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (5 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (50 to 60 minutes). Punch dough down. Cover; let rest 5 minutes. Whole Wheat Pizza Dough: Prepare as directed, except use only the 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour mixed with the yeast and salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour as you can. Knead in remaining whole wheat flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Continue as directed.Nutrition per serving: same as above except 168 calories, 5 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g total fat, 3 g fiber, 98 mg potassium, 95 iron Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 175 Calories 4g Fat 30g Carbs 4g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Calories 175 % Daily Value * Total Fat 4g 5% Sodium 147mg 6% Total Carbohydrate 30g 11% Protein 4g Calcium 10.1mg 1% Iron 1.8mg 10% Potassium 51mg 1% Folate, total 92.7mcg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.