- In a large bowl stir together first three ingredients (through salt); add the water and oil. Beat with a mixer on low or stir until combined. Using the hook attachment, beat on low (or knead by hand) 3 to 5 minutes to make a soft dough that is smooth and elastic, adding additional flour or water as needed.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl, turning to grease surface of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place 1 1/2 hours. Punch dough down. Divide into six portions; shape into balls. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll balls into 7- to 8-inch circles. Preheat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add dough circles, one at a time, and cook 45 to 60 seconds or until surface is bubbly and bottom is browned. Turn bread; cook 30 seconds more or until bottom is browned. If bread browns too quickly, reduce heat to medium-high.
From the Test Kitchen
Whole Wheat Pita Flatbread:
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the all-purpose flour.
Per Serving: same as above except: 187 calories, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g total fiber, 10% iron
Prepare as directed, except substitute 6 tablespoons plain yogurt, room temperature, for half of the water. Divide dough into four portions and roll into about 9x5-inch ovals. Naan may take a little longer to cook (1 minute per side). If desired, brush cooked naan with olive oil and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and sea salt.
Per Serving: same as above except 204 calories, 6 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 mg cholesterol, 1 g total sugar, 206 mg sodium, 4% calcium
Place pitas in an airtight container. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 weeks. To thaw, microwave pitas, one at a time, 20 seconds or until warm.
Nutrition Facts (Pita Flatbread)
- Per serving:
- 195 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 196 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.