- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. For filling, in a large bowl stir together pistachio nuts, dried cranberries, 1/3 cup of the sugar, and the cardamom; set aside.
- Brush the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with some of the melted butter. Unroll phyllo dough; cover phyllo dough with plastic wrap. Layer one-fourth (5 or 6) of the phyllo dough sheets in the prepared baking pan, brushing each sheet generously with some of the melted butter. Sprinkle with about 1 cup of the filling. Repeat layering phyllo dough sheets and filling twice more, brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Layer the remaining phyllo dough sheets on top of the last layer of filling, brushing each sheet with melted butter. Drizzle with any remaining melted butter. Using a sharp knife, cut baklava into 24 to 48 diamond-, rectangle-, or square-shape pieces.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for syrup, in a medium saucepan stir together the remaining 1 cup sugar, the water, honey, and vanilla. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Pour the syrup evenly over the slightly cooled baklava; cool completely.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare Pistachio-Cranberry Baklava as directed, except substitute 3 cups finely chopped peanuts for the pistachio nuts and cranberries and substitute 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon for the cardamom. Increase sugar to 1 1/2 cups and use 1/2 cup of the sugar in Step 1. Continue as directed. For the syrup, add 2 inches stick cinnamon before boiling. Remove cinnamon before pouring syrup over baklava.
Nutrition facts per serving: 243 calories, 5 g protein, 24 g carbohydrate, 15 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 16 g total sugar, 98 mg sodium
Layer pieces between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. (Or, label and freeze for up to 3 months. If frozen, thaw pieces at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.)
Nutrition Facts (Pistachio-Cranberry Baklava)
- Per serving:
- 200 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 131 mg sodium ,
- 27 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 19 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.