Pink and White Shortbread Cookies
- In a small bowl combine flour and salt; set aside. In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 1 minute. Add powdered sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture. Divide dough in half. Cover; chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough, half at a time, until 1/4 inch thick. Using a 2-inch scalloped round or square cookie cutter, cut into rounds or squares. Place on the prepared baking sheets; chill for 15 minutes (this will ensure the cookies maintain their shape during baking).
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are very light brown. Transfer to wire racks; cool.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Place white baking chocolate into the top of a double boiler. Place over boiling water (upper pan should not touch water). Cook and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Stir in a few drops red food coloring to tint pink. Dip half of each cookie into the melted chocolate and place on prepared cookie sheet. (Or drizzle cookies with chocolate mixture.) Chill about 10 minutes or until chocolate has hardened.
From the Test Kitchen
Place undipped cookies in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Pink and White Shortbread Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 94 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 20 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.