White Chocolate and Cranberry Pie
- Combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of mixture; gently toss with a fork. Repeat with 3 to 4 tablespoons additional water until all is moistened. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Ease into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate; fold under 1/2-inch margin. Flute edge. Prick crust. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden; cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the cranberry sauce, granulated sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan. Cook and stir until boiling; cook 1 minute more. Stir in liqueur; cool.
- For filling, melt white baking pieces in a small, heavy saucepan over low heat; remove from heat. Slightly beat egg and the 2 tablespoons water. Gradually stir half the melted pieces into egg mixture. Stir egg mixture into remaining melted pieces in saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat 7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in almond extract; cool.
- Beat whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form (tips curl over); reserve half the mixture. Fold remaining cream mixture into the egg mixture. Spoon half of the egg-and-cream filling into pie shell. Remove 1/3 cup cranberry mixture and sieve, returning berries to remaining cranberry mixture. Spread remaining cranberry mixture over filling. Top with remaining egg-and-cream filling.
- Fit a decorating bag with a large star tip; fill with remaining cream mixture. Pipe a lattice on top of pie and dollops around edge. Add a little water to sieved liquid; drizzle over pie. Chill up to 8 hours. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 8 hours ahead, prepare pie; cover and chill.
Nutrition Facts (White Chocolate and Cranberry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 652 kcal ,
- 42 g fat
- (23 g sat. fat ,
- 120 mg chol. ,
- 81 mg sodium ,
- 62 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 6 g pro.