Upside-Down Caramelized Apple Pie
- Prepare Pastry for Single-Crust Pie, except roll dough between 2 pieces of waxed paper forming a circle about 10 inches in diameter; set aside.
- For filling, in large bowl stir together 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, lemon peel, lemon juice, and ginger; add apple slices. Toss until apples are coated. Set aside.
- In 10-inch oven going* skillet melt margarine. Add remaining 1/3 cup sugar and cook until mixture is golden, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Arrange apple slices in skillet. Remove waxed paper from pastry. Place pastry atop apples. Cut slits in top of pastry.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Using a knife, loosen sides of crust from skillet, if necessary. Invert onto serving plate. If some of the apples stick to the skillet, lift them off with a spatula and rearrange them on top of the pie. Spoon any remaining syrup over apples. Serve warm. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To make skillet oven-going, cover handle with aluminum foil.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- Stir together flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over mixture, gently tossing with a fork between additions and pushing mixture to side of bowl. (Add only enough water to moisten all of the mixture.) Form dough into a ball. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to form a 12-inch-diameter circle. Wrap pastry around rolling pin. Unroll onto a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. To build up the edge of the pastry, trim it to 1/2-inch beyond edge of pie plate; fold under. Flute edge as desired. Do not prick pastry.
Nutrition Facts (Upside-Down Caramelized Apple Pie)
- Per serving:
- 289 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 140 mg sodium ,
- 44 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.