Strawberry Chiffon Pie
- Prepare Baked Pastry Shell; set aside. In a small saucepan combine gelatin and sugar. Stir in water, egg yolks, lemon juice, and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until boiling; remove from heat. Transfer gelatin mixture to a large bowl; stir in crushed strawberries. Cover and chill for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until mixture is partially set (consistency of unbeaten egg whites), stirring occasionally.
- In a chilled large mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into strawberry mixture. If necessary, cover and chill about 20 minutes or until mixture mounds when spooned. Spoon filling into cooled crust. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or until filling is firm. If desired, garnish with halved strawberries.
- Makes 8 slices.
From the Test Kitchen
Reduced-Fat Strawberry Chiffon Pie:
Omit the whipping cream. In a large bowl combine 2 tablespoons dried egg whites and 6 tablespoons lukewarm water. Stir 2 minutes or until completely dissolved. With an electric mixer, beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into chilled strawberry mixture.
Per slice: 254 cal., 10 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 77 mg chol., 115 mg sodium; 36 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 5 g pro.
Daily Values: 2% vit. A, 48% vit. C, 2% calcium, 7% iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 1/2Other Carbo., 2 Fat
Baked Pastry Shell
- Stir together flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Moisten dough with water, adding 1 tablespoon at a time and tossing with a fork. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Ease pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge. Prick bottom and side of pastry. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degrees F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes more or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
Nutrition Facts (Strawberry Chiffon Pie)
- Per serving:
- 326 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 108 mg chol. ,
- 105 mg sodium ,
- 37 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 20 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.