Petite Meringues with White Chocolate Pudding
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cover two baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter as a guide, use a pencil to draw 12 evenly spaced circles on each sheet of parchment. Turn parchment over; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl over). Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Spoon a rounded 1 tablespoon onto each parchment circle on the prepared baking sheets. Using a thin metal spatula, spread as evenly as possible to the edge of each circle. Place baking sheets on separate oven racks; bake for 40 minutes. Turn off oven and allow meringues to dry in the oven overnight.
- To assemble each serving, spoon 1 teaspoon of the White Chocolate Pudding on a serving plate (this will help keep meringues in place). Place one meringue disk on top. Top meringue with about 1 tablespoon of the White Chocolate Pudding. Top with a second meringue, another 1 tablespoon of the pudding, then a third meringue. If desired, garnish with pomegranate seeds and mint leaves. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
*TEST KITCHEN TIP:
To easily remove pomegranate seeds, quarter pomegranate and immerse the pieces in cold water. Use your fingers to remove the seeds while the fruit is under water. Drain, reserving seeds.
To Bake Ahead:
Prepare the meringues and pudding the day before you want to serve the dessert. Store meringues in the unheated oven and chill pudding for up to 24 hours. Just before serving, assemble as directed.
White Chocolate Pudding
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks with a fork; set aside. In a heavy medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove saucepan from heat. Gradually stir 1 cup of the milk mixture into egg yolks. Add egg yolk mixture to milk mixture in saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in chocolate, butter, and vanilla, stirring until melted. Pour pudding into a bowl. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Stir before assembling petite meringues. Makes about 1-2/3 cups.