Orchard Pear Tart
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. For crust, in a medium bowl, stir together the 1-1/2 cups flour and the 2 tablespoons sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/2 cup butter until pieces are pea-size. In a small bowl, combine the 1 beaten egg and 1 tablespoon of the ice water. Gradually stir egg mixture into flour mixture with a fork. Sprinkle remaining ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over mixture, tossing gently to moisten all of the mixture. Form dough into a ball. If necessary, cover and chill about 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry around rolling pin; unroll into an 11-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Ease pastry into tart pan, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry even with rim of pan. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes more or just until pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- For custard filling, in a small saucepan, heat the 6 tablespoons butter over medium heat until golden brown; cool for 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, beat the 1 egg and the egg yolk with a wire whisk until combined. Whisk in the 1/3 cup sugar, then the 3 tablespoons flour. Whisk in cooled browned butter; set aside.
- Halve, core, and peel pears. Dip pears into a mixture of the 1 cup water and the lemon juice; drain on paper towels. Using a sharp, thin-blade knife and beginning about 1/2 inch from the narrow end of each pear half, cut pear into 1/8-inch slices, leaving pear attached at the top. Carefully transfer pears to crust-lined pan, placing narrow ends toward center of pan; press pears slightly to fan. Spoon custard filling around pears.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until custard filling is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. In a small saucepan, melt preserves; strain to remove pieces of fruit. If desired, stir pear liqueur into melted preserves. Spoon or brush preserve mixture evenly over pears. If desired, garnish with Pear Chips. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and bake crust as directed; cool. Place in an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 24 hours. Assemble and bake tart as directed.
- Using a mandoline, very thinly slice pear. Place pear slices on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 300 degree F oven about 20 minutes or until slices are golden and crisp, turning once.
Nutrition Facts (Orchard Pear Tart)
- Per serving:
- 423 kcal ,
- 24 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 137 mg chol. ,
- 238 mg sodium ,
- 49 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.