Alan's Pie Pastry
- In a very large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in butter leaving pea sized chunks.
- In a 2 cup glass measure whisk water, sour cream, and vinegar; pour, all at once into flour mixture, and quickly distribute. Stop!
- Make sure dough is slightly crumbly. Divide dough mixture into 3 equal portions (about 12 to 13 ounces each) Refrigerate for 2 hours and best overnight (finish by hand). DO NOT OVERMIX- the finished dough should break, not stretch.
- Gently knead in bag to bring dough together. Form into discs.
- Use at once or wrap and store in refrigerator for several days or in freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator if frozen.
Nutrition Facts (Alan's Pie Pastry)
- Per serving:
- 1551 kcal ,
- 111 g fat
- (69 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 28 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 289 mg chol. ,
- 408 mg sodium ,
- 124 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 17 g pro.
hattiegirl 288 Days Ago
I meant to give this five stars, I'm not sure why it only shows one star! It's a wonderful, easy to follow method that results in a tender, flaky crust. Made it again today and got rave reviews. It makes enough for three single crust pies or one single and one double.
kkthoma 307 Days Ago
Unbelievable good. Love the sour cream for that bit of fat/sour. This is hands down the best crust I've made. Also, everyone I've fed this pie to has been requesting more.
Patricia Griggs 574 Days Ago
Hands-down the best pie crust I have ever tasted. Follow the directions closely and do not deviate. 1 3/4 cups of butter = 3 sticks plus 1/2 stick :)
Dan Duran 607 Days Ago
It's ridiculous to give quantities this way. What is1 3/4cups butter. And there's a big difference between 1/2 and 1 tsp of salt. It's not 'according to taste', it's a pie crust, should not be salty!
Yarilette Yarilette 936 Days Ago
Ya'll need to be more specific here. I have not made this recipe yet and so far don't know if 3 servings means 3-9" pie crust or 3 personal servings like a miniature pie as directions ask to separate dough into 3 parts? If there's no need to separate is this enough to cover a standard 9" pie pan? Makes me not want to make this considering that information is missing. Do we need to double or triple this recipe to cover a 9" pie? Viewers need more info, thanks
joan_insley 971 Days Ago
RE: Your recipe in 2015 BHG Best Recipes of Season for apple pie. I just want to be sure the directions are to put all ingredients into an UNBAKED pie shell. That won't make it soggy? Looks delicious so I'm making for a big dinner. Thanks.