Lemon Velvet Cream Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out pastry portion on a floured surface to a circle about 12-inches in diameter. Transfer to a 9-inch pie tin or plate without stretching. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Place in freezer 10 minutes. Line pastry with foil pie pan (see Blind Baking*); fill with dried beans or pie weights. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet; bake 30 minutes. Carefully remove foil pan. Bake 15 minutes more. Cool on wire rack. (If using rolled refrigerated crust, bake according to package directions.)
- In a small bowl soften gelatin in water 5 minutes. Heat in microwave for 14 seconds; set aside.
- In large bowl combine egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk. With an electric mixer, beat on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes until well combined. Beat in gelatin, whipping cream and salt on low speed. Add lemon juice and beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Pour into prepared crust (pie will be full).
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until center of pie looks set when gently shaken; cool on wire rack 1 hour. Cover loosely and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Top with whipped cream and lemon peel slivers just before serving. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Be sure to patch any cracks that develop during rolling.
Trim top rim of foil pie pan at about 2 inch intervals; fold upwards.
When blind baking (prebaking the pastry shell) for the Lemon Velvet Cream Pie, Alan uses a disposable 8-3/4 inch foil pie pan to help the pastry keep its shape. Snip the rim of the foil pie tin every 2 inches or so and fold the rim upwards. After fitting the dough in the pie plate and crimping the edge, place the foil pie tin on top of the dough. Fill the tin with dried beans or pie weights and bake as specified in the recipe.
Alans Pie Pastry
- In a very large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt,* and baking powder. With a pastry blender cut in butter leaving chunks the size of peas. Combine ice-cold water, sour cream, and vinegar. Add liquid all at once to the flour mixture. Quickly stir to distribute; do not overmix. The dough should be slightly crumbly. Let rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. The finished dough should break, not stretch. Divide into three portions; shape into disks. Use at once or wrap and refrigerate up to 3 days. Or freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator if frozen.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon Velvet Cream Pie)
- Per serving:
- 558 kcal ,
- 32 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 250 mg chol. ,
- 233 mg sodium ,
- 59 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 42 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.